Monday 10 October 2011

Vinoteca (Farringdon)

Having had a less than perfect experience at Vinoteca in Marylebone, I was a bit reluctant to return to the original in Farringdon. My main Marylebone gripe was service-based, and mainly one person, so not really enough to be outputting. And I'm a forgiving guy...

So dipping my toes back in, I met a friend for their set lunch - it changes daily and is £8.95 for one dish, or £9.95 for the same dish and a glass of matched wine.


Homemade tagliatelle with tomato sauce and meatballs will always get me through the door. And for a simple lunch, it was great.

Nice al dente pasta, which was more like those long zip-shaped pastas than standard tagliatelle so had more ridges and texture to it. The sauce was light but flavoursome, and the meatballs dense and rich. I think they were beef and veal. The wine was a surprisingly light Sicilian red and complemented the pasta perfectly.

As a growing lad, I found the portion size a little on the small side, but I do like a big lunch, (and a catatonic afternoon), and I appreciate it's probably about right for a quick weekday lunch. Great deal and certainly perks up an otherwise ordinary day. Must come back for the prosecco on tap...

Food – 7/10
Drink – 8/10
Service – 7/10
Value – 8/10
Tap water tales – 8/10 (brought without asking) 
Staff Hotness – too hungry to notice I'm afraid...
Vinoteca on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment